Selamat Datang! It means "Welcome!" in Malaysia. And here, you truly are.
On Malaysia Travel Guide, you'll find friendly unbiased updated travel information for touring Malaysia, what to see and what to avoid. More [+]

Malaysia Student Pass / Student VISA

Posted by on Jan 4th, 2008
Filed Under: About Malaysia

Any foreigner who wishes to study in Malaysia is required to obtain Student Pass. Application has to be made through the respective Educational Institution prior entry.

Malaysia Visa

At present, there are over 500 higher educational institutions in Malaysia but only about 200 of these institutions are given permission to recruit international students.

It is important for international students to note that they are only allowed to study in higher educational institutions which are approved by the following two authorities:

  • Ministry of Higher Education (in Malay: Kementerian Pengajian Tinggi Malaysia) grants approval to institutions to conduct courses of study, and
  • Ministry of Home Affairs (in Malay: Kementerian Hal Ehwal Dalam Negeri Malaysia) grants approval to institutions to recruit international students

Application Requirements and Procedures

    Step 1 YOU submit an application form to study together with relevant documents to the intended educational institution which has the official approval from the Ministry of Home Affairs Malaysia Immigration Department) to recruit international students.

    Step 2 YOUR application to study is accepted by educational institution which will then help YOU to apply for student pass at the Malaysian Immigration Department in Malaysia prior to YOUR entry.

    Step 3 Upon acceptance, a letter of approval for student pass will be released by Malaysian Immigration Department to the educational institution which offered the place for YOU to study. The educational institution will send the approval letter to YOU while YOU are still in YOUR own (foreign) country.

    Step 4 Before leaving YOUR country for Malaysia, YOU must inform the educational institution of YOUR port of entry (airport), flight number, arrival date and time.

    Step 5 Upon YOUR arrival at the airport in Malaysia, the educational institutions representative will receive YOU at the immigration check-point at the Malaysian airport.
    Visa will be issued to YOU at the entry point in the form of an endorsement on YOUR valid national Passport.
    Note : Nationals from The Peoples Republic of China are required to obtain Entry Visa prior to entry into Malaysia)

    Step 6 Within 2 weeks of YOUR arrival, the educational institution will submit YOUR passport to the Immigration Department to affix the Student Pass sticker.

Procedures For Entry Into Malaysia

The procedures below will give international students like YOU a more detailed explanation about visa, student pass and other procedures in order to enter and stay in Malaysia for study purposes :

    1. Application Procedures for a Visa
    2. Application Procedures for a Student Pass
    3. Arriving in Malaysia: At the Malaysia Immigration Check Point
    4. Issuance of Student Pass to Students

    To apply for a visa to enter Malaysia
    The Malaysian Government has introduced simplified and hassle-free entry procedures to welcome foreign students like YOU to study in Malaysia’s public and private higher educational institutions. A visa is required but the procedure is simple i.e. You do NOT need to apply directly for the visa from the Malaysian Missions in your country in order to enter Malaysia, with the exception of Chinese students from The Peoples Republic of China. The visa will be issued to you upon your arrival in Malaysia at the immigration check point.

    To apply for a student pass for the pursuit of studies in Malaysia
    The process to apply for a student pass is simple. The Malaysian educational institutions of higher learning which offer international students like YOU a place to study at their institutions will apply for the Student Pass on your behalf in Malaysia. Applications will be submitted by the educational institutions to the Director of Pass & Permit Division, Malaysia Immigration Department Headquarters in Kuala Lumpur. Students do not need to apply directly to the Immigration Department under this procedure. The prospective students will be informed of their application status by the Immigration Department in Malaysia through their educational institutions within 7 days of the application, irrespective of whether it has been successful or not.

    Therefore, students are not required to apply for a visa/student pass from the Malaysian Embassy/consulate office abroad before proceeding to Malaysia. The educational institutions which enroll the students are responsible to make the necessary arrangement pertaining to immigration matters. All applications, processing, approval and issuance of the Student Passes and Visas for prospective foreign students are done in Malaysia, except for students from The Peoples Republic of China (PRC). The PRCs nationals are required to obtain their Entry Visas from the Malaysian Embassy in Beijing, Guangzhou or Shanghai prior to their entry to Malaysia.

    Documents required for applying student pass
    The Malaysian educational institutions are required to submit the following documents to the Malaysian Immigration Department Headquarters in Kuala Lumpur in order to apply for the student pass for students who intend to study at institutions of higher learning in Malaysia. The Immigration Department requires seven (7) days to process the application. The documents are as follows: –

    * An offer letter or letter of acceptance from the educational institution to the student
    * Student Pass Application Form (IMM14) in duplicate
    * Two photocopies of the students Passport / Travel Document
    * Two passport-sized photographs of the student
    * The educational institution is required to sign a Personal Bond* prescribed under Regulation 18 of the Immigration Regulations 1963. No fees will be charged for the Personal Bond.

    Arriving in Malaysia – at the Malaysia immigration check point
    Upon arrival at the airport in Malaysia, students have to show their Student Pass approval letter at the immigration check point. A Special Pass will be issued to refer the student to the respective State Immigration Department for issuance of the Student Pass. A visa will also be issued to the student at the entry point in the form of an endorsement on the students valid national Passport.

    The Educational institutions representative will be at the immigration check point to receive and attend to the student. After the immigration clearance, the representative will be responsible to transfer the student to the educational institution for reporting of attendance.

    Note :

    1. Nationals from the Peoples Republic of China (PRC) and the Commonwealth Independent States (CIS) who wish to study in public educational institutions are required to obtain prior consent from the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia
    2. Nationals from PRC are required to obtain Entry Visa prior to their entry into Malaysia

    Issuance of student pass to students
    Students will be issued a Special Pass valid for 14 days at the Immigration check point. Within two weeks of their arrival, the educational institution is required to submit the student’s passports to the State Immigration Department to enable Student Pass stickers to be affixed. The fee for a Student Pass is RM60.00 a year (or part of a year) while a visa fee ranges from RM6.50 to RM100.00 depending on the countries the students come from. All payments of fees, issuance of Student Passes and Visas as well as renewal of Student Passes can be done at the relevant State Immigration Departments.

Other Information

Only immediate families of students who are pursuing Post-Graduate courses will be considered Social Visit Pass according to the validity of the respective Student Pass
Higher Educational Institution is required to sign Personal Bond prescribed under Regulation 18, Immigration Regulations 1963 as a guarantee that the person to whom such pass is issued will comply with the provisions of the Ordinance and of any regulations made there under.

google custom search on Tourism Malaysia
Malaysia Travel Guide thrives on the knowledge of the community. Got a tip, photo or even a guide on a place you been to in Malaysia? We will love to hear from you!

25 Responses »

  1. i will like any body to link me to low fee rate schools lumpur.

  2. hi iam adnan ali from pakistan iam clear my college in pakistan country iam origenaly from pakistan and i iam belongs to poor family and i want help to continue my studey i want free visa for study if u help me so plz reply me on my yahoo id ok and my age is 19 thanks

  3. i am holding a british passport, resident in england, now i am in hong kong on my holiday, but i am planning go to malaysia to visit a friend and stay for four months, do i need to get a visa ? where can i apply in hong kong ? thank you .

  4. kindly tell me how can i take my parents to malaysia as bi got admission in private university but i want to take my7 parents with me as they are mobile but aged fellows n i dont want to left them alone here in pakistan

  5. hi, i stay in southern africa in Zimbabwe. I just finished my undergraduate degree (Honours Business Studies-Marketing). If anyone can assist me with information on where i can pursue a related post gradute course in malaysia please send me an e-mail on my adrres. Id be really greatful.

  6. dear sir,

    i will like to have information about how to get student visa to enter in malaysia.

    i m doing my B.A degree in india recently in second year,but will like to join malaysia in my M.B.A.
    I m from djibouti ,and have a djiboutien passport.

    plz will like to have all requirement .

    best regard.


  8. I have pass my LL.B from Punjab university and want to study more so i want a student visa pass in Malasia for LL.M.
    Please considerd my request.
    Muhammad javed

  9. Hi,
    This is amjad iqbal from Pakistan.i have
    done msc agriculture economics from peshawar university.
    i have applied for ms scholarship.i want to bring my wife and my mother with me to malysia.plz tell me the procedure.i cant left them alone in pakistan while i will be studying Malysia.plz tell me the procedure. my

  10. dear sir
    my son is 16 yeas and just now is studing at class9 in india(we are originaly iranian)
    and he wishes continue his studing in malaysia
    please inform me what can ido
    thanks and regards

  11. DEAR SIR




  12. Dear sir/madam,
    i want to know about your study permit visa system .i will appreciate it if you inform me aobut the current status of your study permit

  13. Dear sir,
    I have been waiting for my student pass for two months, whereas my my application has been sent since january. I need to know why i do not yet get it

  14. Dear Sir / Madam ,

    With much zealousness i request the requirement to gain admission into University in your country , your propt response will boost my coriousity and enthusiasm thank you .

    Best regards.

  15. Sir i am a civil associate engineer in Pakistan I want to come in malaysia for B.S.C engineering in civi technology.plz give me information about it also tell me after coming in malaysia can i do part time work.

  16. i hear that for one to be eligible for a student visa you must have mathematics or account is this true?also if so are there any alternatives if one does not have any of those subjects. again this website said visas come out in a week but mine hasnt come out and it has been two months and i have to go to school what should i do as i have already paid what is necessary at the school where i was accepted

  17. Dear Sir

    I want to take the student pass in Malysia.
    kindly help me ragarding visa.
    my contact no is 00923142592484.

    karachi , pakistan

  18. I am from Nigeria. I want to study biotechnology in your country. I want to know the cost for the study including the accommadation fee and living expenses for one year. All in US dollars.
    Thanks in anticipation.

  19. hi sir if i get visit visa for malaysia and i want to transfer visa in student and i want to take addmison in malaysia is that possibel

  20. Dear sir,
    I’m a student of bayero university kano in nigeran, an studing sociology under social and management science. sir am doing my diploma program but these my final year, i have been searching for an admission to malaysia but i couldnt get please sir i will you to please help me. because i love to study there thanks i hope my request will be approve. God bless amen.

  21. please where and how can i get a student visa am a nigerian who like to study in malaysia cause i have been told that there school is very good. pls help me to get a contact

  22. hi,
    i have complete my study ( and now doing job in travel agency as accountant in pakistani now i want to study in malaysia for bba.plz tell me how i got student pass and visa of malay.
    waiting for ur flashing response


  23. i am interested in studying for my Masters in urban and regional planning in Malaysia what schools can u recommend for me?
    Do Malaysian authorities allow students to work? especially post graduate students.
    Thank you.

  24. Pls i would like to study at a low price malaysian university.possible?pls,give me a little hints over it.

  25. Dear sir,
    i m a architecture student and have got chance in malaysia to do my internship (3months training course) .after 3 months i will again join to my own university.the training institution will apply for my student pass in malaysian immigration dept.can you please tell me that exactly how long it will take for proccessing the visa??i have only one month in my hand.looking forward to your reply.thank you