Penang – Bangkok KTM Train Route
It’s easy, safe, and comfortable to travel between Penang and Bangkok by train – the Ekspres Antarabangsa (International Express) operates daily between Butterworth and Bangkok.
At the border of Padang Besar you have to leave the train with your baggage. After the checkpoint you will travel further to Hat Yai with the same train, terminating in Bangkok. The travelÂling time between Hat Yai and Bangkok is estimated at 16 hours.
Country: Travel to Thailand from Malaysia
Immigration and Customs Examination by Malaysia/Thailand Authorities at Padang Besar Station
– Passengers will disembark from train and check into gate 6 for immigration clearance by Malaysia Immigration
– Arrival/Departure form has to be completed by passengers before Immigration of Thailand permits the clearance
– Customs check will be conducted by Thailand Custom on board of the train once train has pass through the border line
Country: Travel from Thailand to Malaysia
Immigration and Customs Examination by Thailand/Malaysia’s Authorities at Padang Besar Station
– Train will stop at Padang Besar station for passengers to do an immigration clearance conducted by Thailand Immigration. Passengers have to disembark from train with their luggage and proceed to gate no 4.
– Malaysia Immigration requires a completion form of IMM 26 (Malaysia Arrival Card) by foreign travelers; this procedure is exceptional for Malaysian travelers.
– Passengers will undergo a Customs examination before they embarks into train
Penang (Butterworth) – Bangkok
Ekspres Antarabangsa / International Express: 1420 (+8GMT) Depart – 1250 (+7GMT) Arrive
Bangkok – Penang (Butterworth)
Ekspres Antarabangsa / International Express: 1420 (+7GMT) Depart – 1330 (+8GMT) Arrive
** Take note that the arrival / departure time is according to the Malaysia and Thailand local time. The difference is 1 hour (add 60 minutes for Malaysia time). Malaysia +8GMT, Thailand +7GMT.
Thailand: Bangkok, Huahin, Chumphon, Surathani, Hatyai
Malaysia: Padang Besar, Arau, Alor Setar, Sungai Petani, Bukit Mertajam, Butterworth (Penang)
Related KTM Intercity Train Guides: