Night Markets, Pasar Malam, Shopping, Kuala Lumpur
A galaxy away from the shopping malls are the night markets. Vision KL Magazine publishes a regular update on where and when the best markets are, here are a couple of my favourites:
1. The best nightly one in my opinion is the one at PETALING STREET (Chinatown Kuala Lumpur). It starts at about 7 P.M. or so.
2. Not too far away from Chinatown is Masjid India. Predominantly of Muslim Indian community, the businesses reflects their customs and lifestyle. Rows of Indian Textile shops, money changers (you can get pretty good rates here), Bollywood VCD shops, Imported clay and brass pots, sarees etc. This colourful street is great to visit if you’re interested in Indian ware.
3. There is also a good one in Bangsar, its night as packed as the one at Petaling Street so itâ€™s better for the claustrophobic.
4. There is a HUGE one at LORONG TUANKA ABDUL RAHMAN but it is only on Saturdays. Itâ€™s very open and has a great variety of things. Itâ€™s the best night market overall but since its only 1 time a week it can be hard to catch.
5. There are also several others, like Central Market and others around Petaling and Chow Kit. Many communities have their own markets that are a bit more informal. In Kuala Lumpur at night, if there is an open spot, someone will move a stall in and start selling things.